Thursday, August 30, 2012

A Man of Influence: Proverbs 31:23


Proverbs 31:23 "Her husband is known in the gates, when he sitteth among the elders of the land."

source
What a great opportunity we have to help our husbands to be know as great!

Susannah Spurgeon  (pictured above) provides us a wonderful example of making her husband known. Her husband Charles came home one night feeling like he had been gone from home too much. He came in to hear his wife upstairs praying for all of their children by name as she was putting them to sleep. He knew, at that point, that his children were well taken care of and that he could return to the work that God had called him to. 

Any man that is successful has a woman at home that is allowing him to be successful. I really like Proverbs 12:3 which says  "A virtuous woman is a crown to her husband." 

I think that a huge part of what makes a husband to be looked upon well is to have a wife who is always saying good things about her husband. Aren't these important things easier said than done...although, I still think my husband is perfect :)

How does Elizabeth George weigh in on this?
  1. Praise him
  2. Encourage him- these first two make me think about making sure that my husband knows that I appreciate him  and that those around him know that I appreciate him. 
  3. Take care of your marriage
  4. Take care of your family
  5. Take care of your home
  6. Take care of your finances- I really like the quote that goes something like, make your husband sad to leave you and happy to come home to you. If things aren't in order at home, then your husband is not going to want to come home. I need to be providing an atmosphere that my husband wants to come home to. I have learned that my husband likes the dishes to be done! 
  7. Let him go- I don't like this one. I tend to be a time person and want my husband around. If he is doing the work of the Lord, I need to be willing to spare him for what God is calling him to do. 
  8. Support his dreams- Find out what his dreams are and work on meeting them with him. This is something that I will be continuously working on. 
  9. Realize that our behavior is a reflection on him- Just like a child's behavior is a reflection of parents, my behavior is a reflection of my husband. What kind of image am I reflecting on my husband?
Do you have any advice of things I can do as a wife to make my husband be more of a man of influence?


You can find the previous posts here:
Proverbs 31:20- A Helping Hand

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...