Monday, September 24, 2012

DIY Ruffle Tote

I had this canvas bag tucked away calling for attention. None was being given. I tend to have a lot of those items just lurking in my closet...


A friend of mine, Lauren, posted a project that she made for her daughters. I decided that this would make a great project for my niece for Christmas. Don't tell her if you see her :)

I started the project, cutting strips of fabric from three different fabrics. My width was determined by the scraps that I had. My grandma-in-law passes on a lot of fun scraps to me. Mickey became my inspiration for this project!

I made these strips just a little longer than the width of the bag. 


I then basted across the tops of the fabric strips and then ruffled them to get them to fit nicely around the bag.


I lined up the strips and then sewed them on the bag, overlapping them to cover the sewing. 

I also used pinking shears to cut the bottom of the strips. Hopefully this will keep the strips from fraying. I also added some glitter ribbon around the top to hide where I sewed on the top ruffle. 

I am pretty pleased with how this bag turned out! The only thing, I might add a little flower to the top of the bag. 


4 comments:

  1. "Sew" cute. And I think a ruffled flower would be an adorable addition!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cindy. I will try to add the flower! Motivation!!

      Delete
  2. Very fun gift! I'm sure she'll love it. Thanks for sharing at I Made It! Monday. Can't wait to see what you link up this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Coming right now to check out your Made it Monday!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...