Monday, February 27, 2012

Ichabod Crane? Or is there another?

I was reading my Bible the other day, and I was reading the very familiar time of Samuel. I am sure many of you are familiar with this event and could probably retell without prompting.

Samuel is in the temple when God is calling him, but Samuel thinks that it is Eli who is calling him.
image from here

Remember this story?

Well, there was someone in this story whose name came up that I knew nothing about. Ichabod. Any idea how he belongs?

Let me fill ya in because I am guessing that you don't know. Samuel told Eli that both of his sons would die, which they did. Eli also died.

Well, Phinehas, Eli's son, had a wife. She was near due when Phinehas was killed. She delivered a some and named him Ichabod.

In I Samuel 4:21 we are told. "And she named the child Ichabod, saying, The glory is departed from Israel: because the ark of God was taken, and because of her father in law and her husband."

She died in child labor. There is this boy. No father. No mother. No grandfather. Consequences of sin.

image from here
I got curious what happened to Ichabod. So I searched his name in the Bible and the only other time that he was mentioned is in I Samuel 14:3 "And Ahiah, the son of Ahitub, Ichabod's brother, the son of Phinehas, the son of Eli, the LORD's priest in Shiloh, wearing an ephod. And the people knew not that Jonathan was gone."

This doesn't tell us much about him at all. I wish this was one of the places that we could go back and fill in the details of what happened in his life.

Researching Ichabod is done!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...