Thursday, December 26, 2013

Make Jeans Into a Skirt Tutorial

A few months ago, a girl at my church handed me a bag with about 10 pair of jeans in them and said you are creative, maybe you can make them into skirts for me.

Yes, I have made jeans into a skirt, but I wasn't ready to invest that much time into that many skirts that looked the same. I didn't know if any of the jeans even fit the girl as they were all given to her. 

I made a deal with this girl, I would teach her how to make the skirt, but she was going to come over and do all the work. She agreed, but I didn't know how long it would take to actually make it happen. 

One day, she got out of school early, so she came over and we got to work. By that evening she had gotten three skirts made. One light denim, one dark denim, and one black. I was impressed!


Do you have a pair of jeans that you would like to make into a skirt?

The first thing you need to do is to cut the inseam between the legs. Cut right beside the seam. You will need to cut a little above the inseam into the crotch in order to get the skirt to lay flat. 


Decide what length you want and cut off the length. 

You can also keep them full length, and then you will need more fabric to put in the middle. What you cut off will help fill in the skirt if you cut it off to about knee length,


Pin together the crotch area. I would encourage you to try on the skirt at this point to make sure that what you have cut lays flat. 


Take the legs that you cut off and add those pieces of cut off jean into the triangle hole. You will sew these together. 

Decide on your hem. You can just sew around the bottom and let it fray or you can fold up the bottom and hem.

Here is Ashley in one of the skirts she made. 


I know these are brief instructions, so feel free to ask questions and I will do my best to help!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...